It is a topic very close to my heart, as I nearly shed my youngest son to drowning in a bath tub.
It happened like this. My daughter at the time was 5 and had somebody over with her older sister at our house. The girls have been getting ready for a school disco, my daughter and the woman friend had a bath and the older sister had merely taken her turn.
Unfortunately she had not pulled the particular plug out of the bath, at the time I was in the kitchen talking to my better half and noticed my daughter in her bedroom with all the other girls. A quick head count and call it a good mothers instinct but I headed straight to the bathroom in addition to my son was rolling around. As you can imagine my coronary heart stopped but he was ok.
After I had calmed lower I had to explain the importance to the girls to always take the plug out of the bath. You would have thought the 1 year would not remember, but they do somehow. It took yrs for my son to put his head under the bathtub to wash his hair. Countless years of swimming lessons agency just before he gained confidence in water. He is now 7 and I am blessed not to have lost him.
Everyone no matter has a responsibility to ensure all children are safe around h2o. In New Zealand if you have a Swimming Pool you are dictated by the Fencing of Swimming Pools Act 1987 and this Action requires:
Where there is a private swimming pool or spa pool it ought to be fenced unless:
* It’s a maximum depth is 400mm or less; or
* Its walls are 1 ) 2 metres or more above the ground or the pool’s encircle. (There must be no permanent means of access or momentary steps must be removed after use) or;
* It truly is indoors.
* You must notify your Council if you have some pool or spa or intend to build or install a system.
* A building consent is required prior to construction/installing a pool or alteration of fencing around a pool.
1. All pools must be fenced to the standard set out inside the Act. If a pool is not fenced to such common in the Act it must be kept empty.
* Anyone hiring or leasing a house with a pool must ensure the pool area is kept empty if it does not comply with the React.
* The fence must surround the pool plus any area around the pool including any area found in association with the pool.